A good product search engine is one of the most important elements in an online store and that’s for two reasons:
- It enables a customer to find products he is looking for, based on names or features (e.g.: no-frost fridge).
- It enables a store to control search results in order to promote chosen products (e.g. with a higher margin).
Functionality of a search engine consists not only in returning a product list as a search result, but also in search suggestions. A good search engine prompts results and phrases already during the typing of an enquiry to make it easier for a customer to obtain quick results. In addition, it displays information about prices and special offers.
So we have two areas where we can promote products: suggestions and search results. Of course, the goal of a store will always be the maximization of profit, so products with higher margins or products whose manufacturers pay extra for product presentation, will always be promoted.
So why should manufacturers care for being there?
– When entering a store, a customer often looks for a product with specific features and not a specific brand (e.g. no-frost fridge).
– Search results (like any product list) are characterized by the fact that customers focus on the first 5-10 products that appear after the search, rather than view the entire list of results.
– 60% of customers change their purchase decision during their stay in a store
– The search results are also a great place to show special offers